Before we get into this, let me acknowledge all the positive feedback I got for my playlist a couple of days ago. It’s always a pleasure to put people on to the sauce down here. Today, I felt like hightlighting music that treads off the beaten R&B and hip-hop path. Nowadays, where catering to your niche is more than a smart play, we’ve been blessed to see artists and musicians delve deeper into their craft. For instance, K. Roosevelt’s latest EP, Bloom, is a masterclass in alternative bluesy R&B; I doubt it would have existed if conformity was the imperative. At the end of day, a wider variety of approaches and styles is more representative of the multifaceted world we live in. And trust me (and the homies) to highlight it as much as possible. So, come vibe with us!
02. SiR ::: Rapper Weed (feat. Boogie)
03. Don Toliver ::: Wasted
04. Sy Ari Da Kid ::: Used to Lames
05. Chloe x Halle ::: Do It
06. Masego ::: Veg Out (Wasting Thyme)
07. Wiz Khalifa ::: Y U Mad (feat. Megan Thee Stallion, Ty Dolla $ign & Mustard)
08. Trae tha Truth ::: Slidin (Remix feat. E-40, O.T. Genasis, $tupid Young & Mozzy)
09. J Stone & Pacman da Gunman ::: When Yo Bag Different
10. The Game ::: The Code (feat. 21 Savage)
11. Giveon ::: THE BEACH
12. K. Roosevelt ::: All About It
13. K. Roosevelt ::: Sugar (Too Good)
14. Jenevieve ::: Baby Powder
15. Mahalia ::: BRB
16. Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes ::: Nightrider (feat. Freddie Gibbs)
17. K. Roosevelt ::: Cool M.F.
18. Alina Baraz ::: More Than Enough
19. Layton Greene ::: I Love You
20. Kehlani ::: Change Your Life (feat. Jhené Aiko)
About “Smoke x Mirrors”…
If you’re new to this, every week, I try to put together songs that push the envelope, that are dope and that have lots of replay value. Let these joints make your commute smooth and rock you into reflection and meditation. Enjoy this one; I’ll be back in a couple of days.